Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- To enhance public awareness and early engagement of the Green Deck proposal in the community and secondary schools
- To promote community on the notion of sustainable, green and healthy living
- To support STEM education by promoting the 3D modelling technology to teachers and students
- To provide an opportunity to promote students’ creative ideas of landscape design for Green Deck
- Local secondary school students (Quota: Maximum 20 teams in final round submission)
- Maximum of two participating teams from each school. Each team might consist of 2 to 4 students.
Results Announcement of First Round Competition
A total of 18 teams are shortlisted to the finalist in the competition. Congratulations to our contestants! Each contestants of finalist teams will receive an official certificate of participation.
|School Name (in alphabetical order)
Christian Alliance Cheng Wing Gee College
||Delia Memorial School (Glee Path)
||Good Hope School
||Lock Tao Secondary School
||Lok Sin Tong Wong Chung Ming Secondary School
||Lok Sin Tong Yu Kan Hing Secondary School
||Malvern College Hong Kong*
||Maryknoll Convent School (Secondary Section)
||Po Leung Kuk Wu Chung College
||St Paul's Convent School
||St. Joseph’s College
||Tak Oi Secondary School
||The Church of Christ in China Heep Woh College*
||Youth College (International)
||Youth College (Tuen Mun)*
||* Two teams are shortlisted to the finalist
First Round Competition
Friday 5 August 2022
Open for registration
The competition briefing and training session on Landscape Design were successfully held. Teams could revisit the competition guidelines and basic landscape design knowledge.
The registration will be deemed completed upon submission of entry.
Please contact Mr. Graham Lee at 3400 8920 if in doubt.
Saturday 17 September 2022
Introduction to Green Deck Talks and Competition Briefing
Length: 2 hours (Video recording)
The webinar was conducted in Cantonese supplemented with PowerPoint presentation in English. Please refer to Competition Details for the competition objectives, deliverables, deadlines and judging criteria.
|Saturday 24 September 2022
Training Session – Landscape Design
Length: 1 hours 47 minutes (video recording)
The training session introduced participants to the scope of landscape architecture, typical design processes, tools to create and communicate designs (such as hand drawings and computer software), and some current trends in the field.
Friday 4 November 2022
Deadline for submission
Each team must submit the following information in either Chinese or English.
- A PowerPoint file illustrating the ideas of Green Deck landscape design (with no more than 10 slides)
- A supplementary video clip under two minutes illustrating the landscape ideas (optional)
- The first slide from the PowerPoint should show the school name, name of teacher-in-charge and name of team members.
- Submit the PowerPoint and video files with the download links provided and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Acknowledgement receipt will be sent to participants within 2 working days.
|Late November 2022
Results announcement of the first round competition
20 shortlisted teams will proceed to final round competition
Team members who are not shortlisted for the final round competition will receive certificates of participation as a token of appreciation.
Final Round Competition
|Late December 2022 to Early January 2023
Training Session: Part 1. 3D landscape design training session for shortlisted teams
- Landscape design (beginner level, Sketchup basic modelling, 3 hours, F2F) with Q&A session (Offered by Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong)
- Venue: Chai Wan Campus, THEi
- Date & Time: To be confirmed
Training Session: Part 2. 3D landscape design and video rendering training session for shortlisted teams
- Landscape design (advanced level, Sketchup + Enscape rendering & animation, 3 hours, F2F) with Q&A session (Offered by Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong)
- Venue: Chai Wan Campus, THEi
- Date & Time: To be confirmed
Mid of April 2023
Deadline for the final round submission
Each team must submit the following materials:
- One “A0” size (841 mm × 1188 mm, landscape orientation, 300 dpi) panel presenting the summarised Green Deck Landscape design concept, the panel should be provided in PDF format for presentation purpose at final competition.
- A written statement describing the Green Deck landscape design with no more than 1,000 characters in Chinese or 500 words in English
- A video clip in less than 7 minutes explaining the 3D landscape modelling design
- Compiled project files, scripts or source codes when applicable
- The first two seconds of the video contents and the cover page of the written statement should show the school name, name of teacher-in-charge and name of team members.
- In-text citation should be used on all submitted items if direct references are made
- Acknowledgement receipt will be sent to participants within 2 working days.
- Submit the A0 size panel, written statement and video contents through download links provided and email to email@example.com
Results announcement & Award presentation ceremony
The arrangement of the ceremony to be advised.
Designated Software Platform
Rules and Regulations
- Maximum of two participating teams for each school. Each team might consist of 2 to 4 students.
- Secondary school students of all years, including those graduating in 2022, are eligible for the competition.
- Only one model submission can be made by each team for Inter-Secondary School Green Deck Landscape Design Competition 2022.
- The copyright of the submission belongs to the submission team. However, the Organisers reserve the right to use the submission for promotional purposes. The Organiser also reserve the right to announce the names of winner or school, and to publish photos taken from the competition activities for promotional purposes.
- The Organisers reserve the right to display the original or modified entries, in digital format, through online social media or physical form, for exhibition or promotion purposes.
- Prizes are non-exchangeable, non-returnable and non-refundable in any situation.
- The participants acknowledge that they have read and accepted the rules & regulations of the competition by submitting an entry.
- The Organisers reserve the right to amend and/or cancel the activities as well as the Rules & Regulations without prior notice.
- All entries must be original and have not been published in other occasions before. By submitting an entry, the participants guarantee that the entry neither contains any third party copyrighted materials nor infringes the intellectual property rights of any third parties. Participants should also be aware that the content should not include obscene, violence, religion, politics or any other inappropriate content. The Organisers reserve the right to disqualify against any entry or team that violates the rules without prior notice.
- In case of any dispute, the Organisers reserve the right of final decision.
First Round (Sep to Dec 2022)
- Design Concept and Innovativeness (70%)
- Graphic Design and Presentation (30%)
Final Round (Dec 2022 to May 2023)
Landscape and Design (30%)
- Present a strong design concept arising from the understanding the site context and nature of project
- Incorporate appropriate landscape programme (functions and activities) that respond to the needs of the users
- Exhibit attractive form and stylistic choices in the design of the Green Deck landscape
- Demonstrate uniqueness, originality, creativity, and excitement in the Green Deck landscape design
- Showcase new ideas and approaches in relation to state-of-the-art landscape design technologies
- Demonstrate how the Green Deck landscape design can benefit and sustain the social, environmental, and economic aspects of the neighbourhood and community
- Adopt measures to address issues of larger environmental issues such as climate change and resilience
Graphic and Verbal Presentation (20%)
- Effective graphic communication
- Clearly articulate the design concepts and principles behind in the design presentation
- Trophies, cash vouchers and certificates for champion, 1st runner-up and 2nd runner-up
- Chances to showcase their winning landscape design at Green Deck exhibitions
- Other shortlisted team members will receive certificates of merit and cash vouchers to acknowledge their endeavours and participation in the competition
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Green Deck Project Management Office
- Department of Computing
- Pao Yue-kong Library
Faculty of Design and Environment, Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong
Registration & Enquiry
Contact Person: Mr Graham Lee
Phone : 3400 8290
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Background of Green Deck
Green Deck – A Catalyst for Vibrant Community
Due to heavy cross-harbour traffic, Hung Hom District had encountered long time problems of noise, dust, poor air quality, overloaded footbridge, poor district connectivity and lack of open space. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) has thus proposed the construction of a Green Deck over the Cross Harbour Tunnel Toll Plaza to help resolve these problems.
With funding from The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust, PolyU has recently embarked on a Project Development Study of the Green Deck. The proposed Green Deck would be covered by green landscape to form a public park which could improve air quality in surrounding environment. Also, there would be green open space with cultural, leisure and sport facilities for the local communities. By linking up PolyU campus, MTR Hung Hom Station and Tsim Sha Tsui East, Green Deck would also enhance the pedestrian connectivity among the nearby districts and act as a catalyst for vibrant community.