Each semester, the Library will arrange interactive workshops via face-to-face and online modes for students and staff to acquire knowledge on various topics. You can browse completed workshops by Themes.
The Library has arranged a series of training sessions for Electronic Databases. Covering different tools, these workshops aim to prepare our students and staff with essential knowledge and skills to pursuit academic and research success.
E-discovery – FactivaFactiva is a premium global news and business database which gives you immediate access to over 33,000 sources from all over the world.
The coverage includes US and international newspapers, newswires, trade journals, influential websites, blogs, images and videos.
The quick snapshot and data for company and industry also allow you to gain business insight in seconds.
▪ Select appropriate news source for finding current and historical newspapers
▪ Create effective search strategies for retrieving relevant news articles
|Download||View||5 Mar 2021|
E-discovery - Finding Standards This webinar will briefly introduce why standards matter and how they can support your research.
The class will give a quick guide on how to search standards in British Standards Online (BSOL), IHS Engineering Workbench and other available sources.
|Download||View||25 Mar 2022|
Westlaw Asia Workshop - Legal Resources for your Project and Research Work Westlaw Asia is an online legal research service which provides a unique collection of legal and regulatory information, e.g., case law, legislation, journals, current awareness, news and books/commentary etc.
▪ Content types and Jurisdictions covered
▪ How to get around in the platform
▪ Cases search, legislation search
▪ Commentary and journals search
▪ Current Awareness and news search
|Download||View||2 Nov 2021|
Passport Training - Making Effective Use of Market Information ResourcesPassport is a global market information database provides timely insights and analyses on industry, market research and data, consumer lifestyles, socioeconomic and demographic trends, from over 106 countries.
This workshop aims to demonstrate use of Passport and how it can assist you in your research and learning.
▪ What resources are available in Passport
▪ How to get around the platform, e.g. keyword searches, browse Full Tree for categories and topics, etc.
▪ Ways to refine results and get full text
▪ Tips for searching latest marking data and reports
|Download||View||15 Mar 2022|
Bloomberg Webinar: Getting Started on BloombergThis workshop is designed to introduce Bloomberg databases in the PolyU collection to new users. It will cover:
▪ How to get started using the Bloomberg keyboard
▪ Understanding the flow of system logic to make it work for you
▪ Global Market information
▪ Introduction on Fixed income securities in Bloomberg
▪ Finding details on individual securities
▪ How to gain access to information 24/7 and support via Help
|--||View||12 Oct 2020|
Bloomberg Webinar: Bloomberg Equity Analysis ToolsThis workshop will help participants learn how to use Bloomberg tools to gain insight into global equity markets. It will cover:
▪ Global Market Overview – Security Information, Equities & Index Prices
▪ Equity Analysis Basics – News, Charting, Financials, Major Shareholders
▪ Equity Comparison – Estimates, Analyst Recommendation, Relative Valuation
▪ Current Awareness – News functions for real time updates
|--||View||16 Oct 2020|
Introduction to SciFinder-n - Finding Quality Chemical Information Resources
SciFinder-n is a research tool that allows you to access the world's largest collection of biochemical, chemical, chemical engineering, medical, and other related information.
SciFinder-n provides access to the CAplus database of chemical literature and U.S. and foreign chemical-related patents, CASREACT, the Registry database from Chemical Abstracts Service and Medline.
It includes journal articles, book chapters, patents, conference proceedings, technical reports, substance database.
▪ Improve search efficiency with SciFinder-n's relevance ranking, Boolean operators and unique filter options
▪ Explore both journal and patent literature with ease using CAS indexing and PatentPak
▪ Run complex structure searches in just one click
▪ Use Synthetic Methods and Retrosynthesis for reaction searching
|--||View||20 Oct 2022|
CINAHL Complete and Medline Training - Finding Quality Literature and Tips for Systematic ReviewCINAHL Complete is the definitive research tool for nursing and allied health professionals. Users get fast and easy full-text access to top journals, evidence-based care sheets, quick lessons and more, from 1937 to the present.
Medline is widely recognised as a premier source of biomedical literature. The Medline collection via EBSCOhost in the library contains more than 25 million records from 5,200+ selected publications from 1946 to the present.
▪ Basic functions of CINAHL Complete and Medline
▪ Construct effective search statements using keyword and MeSH
▪ 7 Steps to the perfect PICO Search
▪ Tips on conducting systematic reviews with CINAHL Complete and Medline
|Download||View||31 Mar 2022|
Effective Literature Search using China National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI)The China National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI) has a new interface!
CNKI being a China Integrated Knowledge Resources Database has collections of resources in various formats, e.g. journals, doctoral dissertations, masters’ theses, etc.
This webinar aims to help our students and researchers become familiar with the new interface on the CNKI platform and explore essential features.
Topics to be covered:
▪ Content available in CNKI
▪ Ways to navigate resources in different kinds
▪ Locate high quality research articles for your discipline(s)
▪ Tips for efficient literature searching
Medium of Instruction: Mandarin
|Download||View||15 Oct 2020|
Cochrane Library - Literature Searching and Tips to Support Systematic ReviewsThe Cochrane Library is an electronic collection designed to supply high quality, independent evidence in health care.
In this webinar, you will be guided through the Cochrane Library platform to get familiar with its interface and essential features.
Some latest enhancements and updates, including the new PICO search, will be introduced.
Topics will be covered:
▪ Content available in Cochrane Library and its compositions
▪ How to get around in the platform
▪ What’s new in Cochrane
▪ Using PICO Search to support EBM research
▪ How to set up alerts and find help
|Download||View||3 Nov 2021|
Mastering STATdx – a Powerful Diagnostic Imaging DatabaseSTATdx provides a rich collection of medical imaging and diagnoses for reference, and is also a good resource to improve users’ anatomy knowledge.
▪ An overview of STATdx
▪ Navigate STATdx and conduct effective searches
▪ Demonstrate the strength of features and tools on the platform
▪ Q & A discussion with participants
|Download||View||25 Nov 2021|
Statista Training - Finding Statistics in 30 SecondsStatista gives access to more than one million statistics on 80,000 topics from 22,500 sources covering roughly 170 industry sectors.
This online workshop will show you how to search and find useful statistics in Statista quickly, easily and with confidence:
▪ Introduction to Statista with Global Consumer Survey
▪ Effective ways to search for statistics and forecasts on topics of interest
▪ Tips & tricks on using the Statista platform including Global Consumer Survey
|--||View||17 Mar 2022|
EIU Viewpoint - Introduction and TrainingEIU Viewpoint is an intelligence platform that provides insights into a country’s political, policy and economic outlook, and proprietary ratings on the business environment and risks.
▪ Learn how to navigate EIU Viewpoint to find Global, Regional and Country-level analysis content
▪ Introduction to our Industry and Commodities coverage
▪ Data Tool: Learn how to chart data into Graphs and download into Excel using our state-of-the-art data tool
▪ Explore the new Data Saved Searches, Alerts and Search function
|--||View||28 Mar 2022|
CEIC China Premium Database – Locating Socio-economic Data of ChinaThe CEIC China Premium Database is a Chinese statistical database which provides more than 426,000 time series of macroeconomic and industry data at national, provincial and city levels.
▪ Data coverage of CEIC China Premium Database
▪ Basics of searching and navigation
▪ Expert tips for discovery of data series and other insights / reports
▪ Visualize, compare and download data between regions
▪ Case Studies
|Download||View||17 Oct 2022|
Finding Psychology Literature from ProQuest’s APA DatabasesIn this workshop, we will look at how to use PsycInfo, PsycTests and PsycArticles on ProQuest Platform to access scholarly and professional content on psychology.
In addition to key features of these APA databases, some basic skills of searching will be covered in the session as well, so no prior knowledge is required.
▪ ProQuest Platform and APA databases
▪ Basics of searching – using the ProQuest Platform
▪ Expert features for Psychology on the APA databases
▪ Setting up alerts, trouble-shootings & getting help
|Download||View||19 Oct 2022|
SciFinder-n Advanced: Enhance your Search Strategies for Drug DiscoveryIn additional to topics covered in the Introduction workshop, this session will focus on drug discovery using SciFinder-n:
▪ Explore CAS unique indexing related to Drug Discovery processes e.g. Drug targets, Bioactivities, Structure Activity Relationships, Formulations etc.
▪ Generate new ideas and patent insights on chemical scaffolds with Chemscape Visualization
▪ Plan efficient synthetic routes for drug molecules using Retrosynthetic Analysis
|--||View||27 Oct 2022|
WGSN Insight: an IntroductionWGSN is the leading online trend-analysis and research service providing creative and business intelligence for the apparel, style, design and retail industries.
Topics will be included:
▪ WGSN collection in Library
▪ What is WGSN?
▪ More Insight we going to deep dive
|--||View||28 Sep 2022|
Advancing Lab Instruction: Use Springer Protocols in Scientific Research & EducationSpringer Protocols is a database of reproducible laboratory protocols in biomedicine and life sciences.
The platform contains nearly 40 years of protocols and most of them are taken from the Humana Press book series and the Springer Protocols Handbooks.
Topics to be covered:
▪ What are protocols and why are they important?
▪ How to use Springer Protocols database?
▪ Protocols as Educational Resources: Use Cases
▪ Mapping Protocols to the Career Path (from Student to Scientist)
▪ Outlook: the Next Scientific Generation & the Future of Lab Work
|Download||View||5 Jan 2023|
Use JoVE Videos to Support TeachingJoVE Core is high-impact animations that explain concepts taught in undergraduate Biology, Chemistry and Social Psychology courses.
JoVE Science Education is a video library dedicated to teaching key concepts and fundamental lab techniques of scientific experiments through easy-to-understand visual demonstrations.
All PolyU staff and students now enjoy unlimited access to the JoVE video collection.
Join the session to learn how to map JoVE videos to your course syllabus and embed them into Blackboard modules!
Topics to be covered:
▪ An overview of different JoVE contents
▪ Embed JoVE videos into Blackboard
▪ Playlists: Syllabus mapping for your courses and textbooks
▪ Quiz Banks: Quizzes with our science education videos
|Download||View||25 Feb 2022|
Teaching with SAGE Business Cases: Tips that you need to knowSAGE Business Cases is designed to engage students by applying core concepts to practice through the use of examples from the global business environment.
With this newly subscribed database, faculty staff can now access these authoritative cases from over 120 countries to support their teaching.
Join this webinar to learn more about using SAGE Business Cases in your teaching. All staff are welcome!
The following topics will be covered:
▪ An overview of SAGE Business Cases
▪ Content highlights: Express Cases, Enhanced Cases, The "Raw" Cases
▪ Cases from Global Partners & Cases from SAGE Originals
▪ Guide for accessing Teaching Notes
|Download||View||4 Aug 2022|